Tuesday 1 November 2016

A week in a writer's life (as opposed to career) – (and I’m just scratching the surface here).

When I used to keep a blog "One Writer and His Dog" (2006-2008) one of the aims was to give some realistic insight into a writer's life. A week or so ago I got a bit frustrated on twitter about the assumptions other people have (as we can be accessed easily via social media if we use it) that writers have limitless amounts of time to attend to every query that comes their way. I find myself waiting a bit this morning so I thought I'd write this...


Monday 24 October

Spent the morning working through a movie screenplay with the director. By the time I got back home I was too shattered to function properly. After supper a bit re-energised, an hour on the phone with a theatre director about something or other.

Tuesday 25 October

Good morning on the film but a bit distracted by the news about Emma Rice leaving the Globe. Headed off to meet a producer about a TV series. Two hour meeting. Very hard to get back into the screenplay afterwards. Various pastoral stuff to attend to at Birkbeck College where I lecture part-time.

Wednesday 26 October

Travelled to Manchester and back to collect my son for his half-term stay. Read another hunk of Dan Davies brilliant “In Plain Sight: The Life and Lies of Jimmy Savile” on the train up. A remarkable book which deserved it’s Gordon Burn prize. After my son went to bed I was too knackered to write.

Thursday 27 October

Fun day with family. After my son went to bed I worked on the film from 10pm until 1.30am.

Friday 28 October

Up at 6am to work on the film for a couple of hours before my son surfaced. Managed about a good hour before he got up. Went to the Tower of London with my son and partner. My boy thought it was hilarious I called Beefeaters “Beefburgers” when I was a kid.  Lego construction in the afternoon. Working on my screenplay in the evening. By 10pm finally getting to the end of the pass on my movie. Pressed send. Would have liked more time but locations being scouted etc. from Monday.

Saturday 29 October

A trip to the local park, pumpkin-carving, play date with some friends and their kids and some early trick or treating. Strictly: Ed Balls best dance yet.

Sunday 30 October

Morning with my son and back to the park after some reading and writing with him. Drop my son off at Euston and legged it to the pub to catch Everton v West Ham. Good first half, poor second half. Saw “I, Daniel Blake” at the cinema. A vital film but disappointed by it a bit too. Too much hype?

Monday 31 October

Wrote lecture focusing on Caryl Churchill’s “Far Away” and Roy Williams’ “Fallout”. Did further preparatory work on a TV series. Delighted by news Andrew Thompson (who I mentored for the Arvon and Jerwood foundations in 2014-15) has had his play “In Event of Moone Disaster” selected as a finalist for Theatre 503’s Playwriting Award. Finished the Dan Davies’ book while my other half watched “Dark Angel” on TV. Falling asleep by quarter past ten.

Tuesday 1 November

Making a list of all the things I didn’t get time to do last week. Re-reading students work and prepping notes for them. Read some reviews of “The Nest”. Sent text to Artistic Director about something or other – no reply. Rang director – no answer. Waiting.